Watertown School District Universal Pre-Kindergarten
The Bright Beginnings Early Learning Center operates integrated preschool classrooms, under the jurisdiction of the New York State Education Department, for both typically developing children and students with disabilities between the ages of 2 years 9 months and 5. The Bright Beginnings program promotes social interaction, pre-kindergarten readiness skills and age appropriate self-help abilities. All of this is accomplished in a nurturing environment and in partnership with the child’s family. Also, we are offering Universal Pre-k for 3 year olds and 4 year olds through the Watertown School District.
The Bright Beginnings Early Learning Center is an approved evaluation site and provides a special education program (8:1:1) and related services that may include speech therapy, physical therapy and occupational therapy. **All Special Education teachers are certified and all clinical staff (Speech, Occupational and Physical therapists) are licensed by the New York State Educational Department.
Our program is open from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, five days a week and follows the Watertown school district schedule. We also operate a 6-week summer program. Our program follows an open door policy. Our staff also encourages open communication between themselves nd our parents to better serve the children.
PRESCHOOL STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES:
Includes children aged 2 years 9 months until eligible for public school placement who have been dtermined by the Committee on Preschool Special Education of their home school district to be a preschool student with a disability.
Includes children aged 2 years 9 months until they are eligible for kindergarten place. Parents pay a weekly tuition fee for their child’s JRC preschool program. JRC employees receive a discount on these services.
UNIVERSAL PRE-KINDERGARTEN (WATERTOWN SCHOOL DISTRICT):
- 3 year old full day, 4 year old full day, and 4 year old half day available
- For information about Universal Pre-K please visit the Watertown school District informational page: www.watertowncsd.org
- Applications for Universal Pre-k www.watertowncsd.org
8:1:1 classrooms include eight preschool students with disabilities, one special education teacher and one teacher aide. There is also an early education teacher and up to 10 “typically developing” children.
- Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Nursing
- Special Education Teacher
- Teacher of the Visually Impaired
- Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
- Interpreter services for the deaf
- Parent Support through service coordination
- Multi-disciplinary Evaluation Services
- Service Coordination
- Augmentative Communication
- Assistive Technology
- Transition Services
- Extended School Year program (6 weeks during July and August)
* PLEASE NOTE: All Special Educuation programs and services recommended in a child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) are provided at no cost to the parent.
Exiting the Program:
A participant may leave the program when:
- The family chooses not to participate in this purely voluntary program
- The child transitions to a public school program
- The child is no longer eligible due to age
- The Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) team determines that the child no longer meets the Department of Health’s criteria as a “child with a developmental delay”